Friday, May 2, 2008

Hen Manure

We live on acreage that my husbands family owns. Beautiful large fields, wildlife galore, just a great place to raise kiddos and LIVE. The fields used to be hayed every year but this year, the family has decided to grow corn. A local farmer is going to till the land and grow crops of feed corn. This sounded like an okay idea to me, other than the fact that I won't be able to take walks with the kids in the field or see the deer coming out to graze on the newly mowed hay. One thing that I didn't really count on was the stink. Anyone that is driving by my house with their windows open, knows just what I'm talking about. They dumped loads and loads of hen manure (at last count, 20 truck loads) on Monday and started spreading today. I'm hoping this process of harrowing and spreading of manure goes quickly! I'm miserable not being able to open my windows on a nice spring day.

*******UPDATED 1/13/09 The farmers STILL haven't come to take all the corn away in my backyard...still surrounded by a sea of corn and not too happy about it.*******

I started planting my seeds on Patriot's Day this year. My first year of starting everything myself. Normally I go to the local (and incredibly expensive) greenhouse. I'm hoping someday to have my own greenhouse. I have the perfect place.
Back to seeds, I sowed zucchini (Raven), squash (Cashflow), cukes (Diva), tomatoes (Brandywine & Roma) and yarrow (can this be transplanted out? I figured I'd try). So, I'm starting small. I transplanted them into larger containers on Monday evening (4/28).



I think they like my bay window. Lots of sun. I got my peas in on 4/22. I checked them today and they've just started to pop up. YAY! I've never really been successful with peas. I established this garden in 2000 and I probably haven't planted peas since 2002. Wish me luck!


No comments: